Friday 18 June 2010

Friday Feeling!

It's a Friday, the weekend is almost here! I was planning on going and getting some bread today so I can eat breakfast this weekend (my Mum is on a health-kick and the only bread we have is yucky wholemeal stuff DX) BUT my car won't start so I can't go anywhere. Before anyone tells me to "walk", the nearest town is 10 miles away and there are no pavements along the road once you leave the village O.o But it should be fine next week as I'm getting the battery replaced on Monday, and it's getting an MOT so I'm crossing my fingers it will pass without anything expensive needed!

So let's ignore my car problems and get down to business! I recently read a news item on rogueclassicism about a report recently published in the UK which stated that latin should be taught in state Primary schools. I was actually incredibly lucky to attend one of a handful of British state secondary schools that had a Classics department with two Classics teachers, very few British state schools have a Classics department (it's generally a subject that has only been retained by private schools) let alone one with two teachers.

I really do hope that the call to bring latin (and Classics in general, even if you struggle to get to grips with latin you can enjoy studying ancient history and classical civilisations) back to British state schools, especially primary schools, catches on. And to that end I spent yesterday creating a bunch of products that you can use to show your support!





I've got more in my new Bring Back Latin section of my Zazzle shop (once it updates itself DX).

And if you are in the UK, near London or Oxford, and you are interested in learning latin or ancient Greek then you should check out the fine work done by the Iris Project, especially their Classics in the Park events!

No comments:

Post a Comment